Happy New Year, everyone! As we ring in the new year, many of us are making resolutions to improve our health. This year, why not add dental health to your list? Here at Timock Family Orthodontics, we want to help you achieve a healthy smile for the new year. In this blog post, we will suggest 7 New Year’s resolutions for a healthy smile.
1. Brush your teeth twice a day – Brushing your teeth is the most important step in achieving dental health. Make sure to brush twice daily, for two minutes, with fluoride toothpaste. If you currently have orthodontic appliances, we recommend brushing after each meal to ensure no food is lodged between your brackets and teeth!
2. Floss at least once daily – While flossing after each meal is ideal, we understand that many people don’t have time for that in their busy schedules. In that case, we recommend flossing at least once a day, preferably at night before bed. Flossing helps to remove plaque buildup in areas the toothbrush can’t reach. If you currently have braces, fixed retainers, or any other orthodontic appliance, make sure to stock up on interdental flossers to clean all those hard-to-reach places!
3. Avoid sugary snacks and drinks – After all the delicious food and treats we enjoy during the holidays, getting back to a balanced diet rich in teeth-loving foods such as fruits and veggies is essential. Eating sugary snacks and drinking sugary beverages can lead to cavities and other oral health issues, which is why we recommend all our patients limit their intake. This is especially important for anyone with braces—those sticky candies can damage your appliances and extend the time it takes to achieve your ideal smile!
4. Visit your dentist twice a year – The Timock Family Orthodontics team recommends visiting your dentist twice yearly for checkups and cleanings. Regular visits allow your family dentist to monitor your dental health and address any issues before they become significant problems.
5. Experiment with new tools – So, dental hygiene doesn’t exactly light a fire in your heart—we get it! One of the best ways to get excited about oral health is to invest in new tools, such as the Waterpik or even electric toothbrushes. At Timock Family Orthodontics, several patients have reported getting more in tune with their oral health routines by incorporating some of these fun appliances. If you’re unsure which one is right for you, ask Dr. Timock or one of our specialists for recommendations!
6. Use mouthwash – Mouthwash is an excellent way to help keep your mouth clean and fresh. Look for a mouthwash that contains fluoride or antiseptic ingredients, as these can help reduce the risk of tooth decay. Also, carrying a miniature bottle in your bag is a great way to rinse after meals when you’re on the go and don’t have a chance to brush!
7. Consider orthodontic or whitening treatments – If you’re looking for a more dramatic way to improve your smile in the new year, Timock Family Orthodontics offers several treatments that can help. If you have misaligned teeth or gaps between your teeth, consider orthodontic treatment with braces or Invisalign. If discolored teeth are an issue, ask about whitening treatments to help you achieve your ideal smile while straightening your teeth with Invisalign.
New Year, New Smile, New You!
We hope this blog post has inspired you to make New Year’s resolutions for a healthy smile. For more information on how Timock Family Orthodontics can help you achieve optimal dental health, contact us today to set up a consultation. We wish you all a happy and healthy 2023!